If you’d rather read the PDF version, you can find it here: The New Haven Chronicles – Timeline Part Three
The New Haven Timeline
Part Three: The Road to War
Jon Michael May
Copyright © 2012
A heartfelt thanks to everyone who helped flesh out this universe; in all its various incarnations. New Haven wouldn’t be what it has become, without your input.
I’m much obliged.
Part Three: The Road to War
As the rift between the Alliance of Corporations and the United Nations continued to grow, neither side could advert their steady march towards confrontation. The lightening development of space as a battlefield took both sides by storm, as each vied to militarize a frontier where no combat capable forces had ever done battle. With a disillusioned public caught in the middle, everyone waited for the spark which would ignite the flames of war.
– In a joint venture of cooperation, the Velos Corporation aids the United Nations in construction of a new long duration and multi-vehicle anchorage in orbit of Earth. The station will serve as the basis for UN Fleet Operations for the burgeoning United Nations Expeditionary Forces.
– In orbit of Mars, the Alliance begins construction of their own permanent vehicle support anchorage. The massive complex will serve as the headquarters for all Alliance operations until a more permanent facility can be constructed on the Marian surface.
– While never officially endorsed, the S&E ISF also begins to occupy the dry lake beds located in Black Rock Nevada. The long dry lake beds serve as excellent runways without the need for paving dedicated strips and the wide open range and low population of the area allows for a heightened level of situational awareness, without the need for increased security.
– The Alliance, acting in an unofficial capacity up to this point, is officially founded during a public ceremony broadcast across the Solar New Network. Each founding corporation will assign one member to serve on a board of directors to oversee Alliance affairs and act as the official representative in dealings with the UN.
– The following week, the Pax Corporation recalls its trade ambassadors from Earth and Luna. Corporation citizens are urged to relocate to Mars proper, or one of the many orbital habitats.
– The Alliance sells the Lunar shipyards to Velos, who in turn lease the shipyards to the United Nations. In a show of force, the UN enter into a multi-year contract with Velos to upgrade the Yard and build new ships.
– While the Pax corporation and much of the Alliance are not pleased with this action, Velos points out that the Alliance has no jurisdiction over who they do business with. Additionally, while first run technology will be reserved for the Alliance, there is no reason to completely ignore the vast market of consumers which the UN represents.
– Boyce is born on Mars
– To better accelerate the growth of their society, the Alliance Health and Human Services Agency institutes a widespread multi-partner breeding program. Domestic couples are required to obtain at least one additional partner with which to produce no less than two viable offspring. How that partner interacts with the couple and who maintains parental rights is thoroughly outlined in a detailed mission statement. The program is met with mixed results until it is finally spun as a means to better increase ones corporate standing. Artificial conception is common as individuals needing to meet their quotas seek potential genetic donors.
– The first child from parents who were both born in space, is born in orbit of Mars.
– The Alliance begins testing minor genetic manipulation within the breeding program, with the goals of strengthening bone density, slowing bone loss, and increasing muscle mass in low gravity environments.
– The Alliance announces the formation of the Mars Territorial Perimeter, a spherical border around Mars with a radius of roughly twenty-five million kilometers. An Alliance Spokesman reported that unauthorized entry within the perimeter would not be tolerated.
– The announcement doesn’t sit well with the United Nations Security Council, however few are willing to risk direct confrontation over a border dispute.
– Prentice Brymmer graduates university and enlists in the Corps of Her Majesty’s Royal Marines.
– The United Nations Marine Corps is inducted into the UN Charter. During the dedication address, Secretary General Okuma Makoto officially announces the need for a unified fleet of space craft to effectively engage in the defense of Earth and its assets. While the current coalition of nations will continue to support the UN, a dedicated fleet of commonly operated vessels, staffed by a unified corps of officers and crew is clearly called for. This multinational defensive force will represent the cooperative nature of the UN itself and will pull from a single human pool of common resources in both material and personnel.
– Little known cyberneticist Amit Quance, publishes a research paper claiming to have developed the model for an artificially sentient neural matrix. The base patterns are cloned from a number of donor neural fibers and patterned after the most basic computational algorithms, while suspended in a biochemical nutrient solution. Development of the matrix occurred during manipulation of single cell fibers when reprogrammed modifiers were delivered into the preexisting cell to stimulate new fiber connections. The resulting connections quickly formed new fully organic pathways capable of direct signal transmission independent of the donor genetic material or reprogrammed modifiers. These new fibers grew exponentially within the limit of the nutrient solution until the peak of their output was reached.
– Months later, the process is demonstrated on three separate occasions, each time with similar or increased results. Multiple computational tests show conclusive proof of clear independent performance beyond the original subject material. Dr. Quance made his intentions known to create a fully functioning cortex in order to reach the next stage of artificial intelligence; sentience.
– While many suggest limiting the development of this new technology, Dr. Quance is successful in securing funding to begin development of a fully developed neural cortex. What he fails to reveal is that development of the cortex is already well underway. His goal is to create a true sentient life form equal to or surpassing human intelligence.
– The Luna Ship Yards are brought online, ending a nearly eight year revitalization program started after leasing the base from the Velos Corporation. The multi-billion credit project, saw the systematic upgrade and expansion of the stations ship building and maintenance capabilities. The program marks the largest single expenditure towards military acquisition made by the new United Nations.
– The UN is recognized for the first time as the legitimate authority of Earth in regards to Solar Law and Earth’s relations with the Alliance. While each nation is generally left to govern its population as it sees fit, matters of a global nature now fall upon the responsibility of the United Nations. A resolution to rename the UN into something more symbolic of its global governing stature is put forward. The resolution is easily beaten.
– The Pax Corporation sends official representatives to the UN to begin negotiations aimed towards establishing official diplomatic relations. What they neglect to tell anyone is that many of the Alliance controlled agriculture settlements have failed to produce sustainable yields. Alliance Ambassadors are ordered to negotiate new trade agreements for increased food shipments without giving away their perceived weakness.
– Oliver Laurie is born on Luna.
– The UN purchases nine Ark Royal class vessels to be delivered over the next ten years. Two active space frames and two retired frames which will be used for parts are delivered at the time of purchase. The two active vessels begin an extensive testing and shakedown cycle, during which time a hand picked corp of officers and crew will learn to operate them. The two retired frames are stripped of their parts which are then stored in secured locations.
– The United Nations Militia, Navy, and Aerocorp are inducted into the UN charter. The Militia will serve as the largest body of ground forces within the UNEF. Unlike the Marine corp which only takes transfer candidates from standing military services, the Militia is a direct recruitment service.
– The UN Naval Service will have not standing combat forces, however will include the Office of Naval Intelligence, serving as the primary means intelligence gathering for the UNEF.
– The Aerocorp will serve the bulk of manned an unmanned trans-atmospheric capable transports and ground support craft, such as UAV’s and UCAV’s.
– The Alliance of Corporations is officially recognized as an independent government body by the United Nations. The issue of their claim to Mars is stalled however as the UN is unwilling to cede Mars to the Alliance before they get a chance to exploit the planet for themselves. While tensions remained less than civil, the two governing bodies recognized the need for continued cooperation. Earth remained the primary producer of foodstuffs for all colonized settlements within the system, while the Alliance remained the primary producer and supplier of refined Helium-Three to all space faring operations.
– The Jumper Program is initiated. These elite soldiers, will be the shining example of Alliance technological and military prowess.
– The UN begins enacting more wide spread measures aimed at solidifying its control over the inner solar system. One such measure is for the commission of a new class of ship to be built specifically for service in the United Nations Expeditionary Forces. The multinational research and development bureau undertaking the development of the project is unable to settle on a Project/Class name however and the new Secretary General is prompted for suggestions. Secretary General Makoto puts forth the name Essex, though never explains why.
– The Artificially Intelligent Neural Cortex known as Theia becomes self aware. A considerable amount of testing is conducted trying to disprove her capacity for sentience. While many skeptics remained convinced she was nothing then just a collection of advanced programming and not a true life form, Theia surpassed every measurable requirement of sentience.
– After months of debate, Theia is recognized as a sentient life form, however the Security Council is slow to outline exactly what rights such a life form actually possess.
– Valeen Farris is born on Earth.
– The Alliance begins construction of several advanced cruisers. With no known official designation, the UN recognition system labels them as Alpha’s. ONI reports the vessels are vertically oriented, with at least two variants in production, and heavily armed.
– The Ark Royal class vessels, UNV Illustrious, UNV Charles de Gaulle, and UNV Mashu enter active service.
– Theia creates a child named Eos, by copying and augmenting her own neural cortex. While Eos is a highly advanced AI, she is not fully sentient like Theia. For a short time, there is talk of destroying both Theia and Eos before they can evolve beyond something that can be controlled.
– Theia assures her handlers that she has no intentions of harming humanity.
– With the help of Dr. Quance, there is successful in augmenting Eos to allow her matrix to become self aware. Eos passes the standardized sentience panel with flying colors.
– A United Nations referendum is started to ward custody of Eos to UN scientists. Theia contests the attempted removal of her offspring by the state, claiming the UN has no legal basis to take possession of a sentient life form in such a manner. Not willing to leave the decision in the hand of politicians, Theia is quick to file a motion to have the UN Supreme Court interject on the basis the decision will have ramifications for all future artificially intelligent life forms. When the Court agrees to hear their case, Theia and Eos find they have no shortage of lawyers willing to aid their legal defense.
– The case of Theia vs United Nations is heard before the court. While most see the case as a mere custody battle, Theia intends to set a clear and present precedent so future sentient life forms will be awarded the same rights as any other sentient being.
– When the case begins to go badly for Theia, she requests a meeting with the Secretary General. Records of the meeting are later sealed and classified under an executive order.
– The case is decided in Theia’s favor. The Secretary General announces UN directive 437190-a, signifying the UN charter will be changed to extend all current and future laws & rights to Artificially Intelligent Life.
– Theia and Eos accept assignments in the Advanced Theoretical Logistics division of the United Nations Solar Command as independent contractors, operating outside the normal chain of command.
– Dr. Quance takes a position working for the UN Advanced Technologies Division, where future development of artificially intelligent constructs will take place in a secured environment.
– An Alliance report compiled by various field operatives, highlights the successes and possible consequences to the UN and the Alliance, from the creation of an artificially sentient intelligence. The report concludes that if independent creation of such a technology is not possible, then capture and study should be considered a high value objective.
– Theia creates two new clones of her Cortex, which rapidly develop into the personalities Helios and Selene. Within the course of a week, both Helios and Selene achieve sentient status. For security purposes, Theia and her offspring are asked to quit ‘procreating’. The development of artificial intelligence places the UN in a significant advantage over the Alliance and concerns over Theia and her children being abducted by the Alliance are clearly evident.
– Theia reluctantly agrees, however Eos, Selene, and Helios agree only if allowed given advisory positions aboard the three planned Essex Class ships. Theia is outraged by this. While she has a professional working relationship with the UN, she has long struggled with being manipulated by the military and doesn’t want her ‘children’ to have anything to do with the military. Eos, Selene, and Helios are quick to point out that they are free to exercise their freedom as they see fit, unless Theia attempts to stop them, which makes her no better then those who sought deny them their freedom in the first place. Theia realizes they are correct and must let them make their own decisions, however she remains vocally displeased with their choice of careers.
– During a ceremony covered live from the Luna Ship Yards across the Solar News Network and Lunar News Now, Joint-One-Seven-J in the lower forward hull of the Essex Class prototype is laid down and temporarily plasma welded in place. The Essex Class is the first ship in a series of new construction contracts, to be built specifically for service within the UN Expeditionary Forces. Each of the three Essex Class ships planned will serve as the command ship for an Expeditionary Strike group, providing the UN with the ability to engage in defensive and offensive deployments throughout the inner solar system.
– The UNV Ticonderoga begins construction at Terra Anchorage with much less fanfare.
– During a trade summit through an intermediary third party, the Alliance of Corporations raises the cost of Helium-Three shipments. In turn, the UN raises the price of consumable goods. The price war continues to grow throughout the remainder of the year before finally settling at a new all time high.
– To help their struggling economy, Canada sells the Gander military base to the S&E Interplanetary Security Firm. Many other nations follow suit and the S&E ISF quickly develops a large presence of military personnel and equipment across six continents. While much smaller then the Black Rock military base in Nevada which has grown to become the largest S&E base on Earth, Gander is in close proximity to New Haven island and will serve a a key staging area.
– The UNV Shangri-La begins construction at Dock Three in the Lunar Shipyards. Rapid prototyping of its primary computer core begins so Helios can help optimize its performance before being installed aboard the new ship.
– Construction of Augustus Station is completed, in high orbit of Mars. The station stands as the largest man made object in space and quickly begins to take its place as the center of commerce and political strength within the Alliance.
– The Alliance begins preparing to move Augustus Station from orbit of Mars, to the Earth Mars L2 point. This move causes the UN to go on heightened alert. The Alliance Ambassador assures the UN Security Council the station is only being moved to make it easier for light freighters to reach a drop off point without having to enter obit of Mars.
– The UN Office of Naval Intelligence notes there are currently eight Alliance Cruisers docked at Augustus station. All are of the Alpha configuration, though they vary in type from Mk. I’s to Mk. III’s.
– The UNV Essex finishes construction. The project is almost ten billion credits over budget, however public support for the project is incredibly high and detractors within the Security Council fail to gain any ground in cutting funding for the Shangri-La.
– Theia is quick to remind the Security Council of their arrangement and after the month long shakedown cruise, Eos is transferred aboard the Essex as a data management adviser. Initial reports suggest the multinational crew of the Essex are reluctant to work with ‘him’ and wary of his presence.
– Taking lessons learned from the development and construction of the Essex Class Prototype, the logistics support ship begins rapid prototyping at Terra Anchorage. The Elco Class will serve as a forward observation and logistics support vessel, enabling the Essex Class to remain with the Strike Group while still providing an increased battlefield awareness beyond the mere capabilities of the Strike Group itself. The first two hulls, the Elco and Abilene, begin construction at Terra Anchorage.
– The first noted appearance of social divergence of humans born on Earth versus those born off world is made.
– The Tico is towed to the Lunar shipyards to begin final instillation of primary command and control suites. Selene is transferred to the Tico to oversee the process and take final control of the primary computer core. It’s hoped that allowing ‘her’ to better integrate with the ship and crew prior to the ships deployment may help alleviate the issues experienced with Eos aboard the Essex.
– General Hudson resigns as CO of the Essex and the First ESG, allowing Brigadier General Ochoa to assume the role. Ochoa is well liked within the Marine Corps and far more open towards working with Eos in a more professional manner. Among her first acts as Commander of the ESG is to create a place for Eos on the bridge of the Essex as combat data specialist. While this position still falls outside the chain of command, the marked increase in visibility and responsibility do much to shine a light on the capabilities and benefits the presence of an Artificial Intelligence can bring to the logistics of a working strike group.
– Okuma Makoto resigns his postion as Secretary General amid allegations of favoritism towards corporate manufactures. The more moderate Alvaro Masai is elected as the new Secretary General with hopes of curtailing the increase in defense spending.
– The UNV Illustrious prevents Alliance Cargo Transport-387 from docking at Luna Shipyards for failing to submit to safety inspections. While this isn’t the first instance of this type of infraction, it does mark the first instance of action taken to enforce UN regulation.
– The Alliance begins sending cruiser escorts with all cargo transports traveling beyond the Mars perimeter. Cruiser Commanders have orders to take whatever steps necessary in order to see through the delivery of their cargo.
– The new SG, Alvaro Masai meets with Solar Command Authority (SOLCOMM), the governing branch of the UN Expeditionary Forces to discuss how to best handle the presence of Alliance combat vessels within UN territory. Masai doesn’t make any friends by defending the UN policy to avoid confrontation and give the Alliance a wide berth.
– The UNV Ticonderoga is officially commissioned, at a ceremony at the Lunar Ship Yards. General Erin Wyler assumes the role of first commanding officer of the Tico. Much like her counterpart General Ochoa, Wyler is of the mind to give Selene a more wide range of duties aboard the Tico, seeing her not merely as an extension of the ship, but as an actual member of the crew.
– The UNV Ticonderoga leaves the Lunar Ship Yards before taking command of the Second Expeditionary Strike Group for a three month shake down cruise. The Second ESG isn’t at full strength yet and is comprised of only six ships, three of which are transfers from the First ESG.
– While en route to Terra Anchorage, the UNV Essex suffers a containment failure in its number two starboard fusion reactor. Full emergency protocols are activated and the reactor is scrammed before a complete loss of containment is suffered. Several decks are contaminated however and thirteen people suffer severe radiation poisoning and one engineer, Master Sergeant Leonard dies after entering the safe room to manually activate a pressure release valve. He is posthumously awarded the Medal of Valor for his actions.
– The Essex begins a two month stay at Terra Anchorage to undergo decontamination protocols, before beginning repairs.
– Only hours after leaving Earth orbit, the Second Expeditionary Strike Group is ordered to stand down to allow the UNV Ticonderoga to undergo full diagnostics on all reactors.
– Construction of the UNV Shangri-La is temporarily placed on hold, until findings from an official board of inquiry can determine the cause of the incident.
– Official cause of malfunction reports are completed and labeled as unforeseen stress fractures in the regulatory coolant delivery chamber. The faulty coolant chambers are replaced a with more robust nano-fiber components. Preliminary tests suggest the new components will be capable of performance standards higher then the accompanying systems.
– The Essex & Ticonderoga receive the new upgraded reactor components and upon passing inspection, return to active duty.
– The Second ESG leaves the Lunar Ship Yards for a three week shake down cruise around the Inner System. The Essex Docks at Terra Anchorage
– Construction on the Shangri-La is resumed, with an estimated completion date of early the following year.
– Seven courier transports and six fuel tankers, all carrying official legal travel documents, depart Mars for Luna. Unbeknownst to anyone, the couriers carry elite infiltration operatives and the tankers carry a mixture of short to medium range missile rails.
– Facing an inability expand their economic superiority in the face of Earth’s growing economic independence, the Allied Corporations strike the Lunar Ship Yards and UN Helium-Three refineries in Lunar orbit. Their sudden act of aggression catches the UN completely off guard and plunges the human race into the first solar war.
– Just prior to passing around the Sun on the final leg of their shakedown cruise, the Tico revives word of the attack. The Second ESG enters a high speed slingshot course around Sol to pick up speed and return to Earth as soon as possible. During the attack, the Allied Forces succeed in capturing the Lunar Ship Yards as well as the uncompleted space frame of the Shangri-La. Helios undergoes a complete crash, placing his cortex in a deep state of hibernation in order to protect himself from falling into enemy hands.
– Valeen Farris enlists in the United States Marine Corps and receives special dispensation to extend her student Visa to encompass military service.
– In an emergency session of the General Assembly, United Nations Secretary General Alvaro Masai makes his famous “We will fight,” delectation. In the days and weeks that follow, the United Nations and specifically the Secretary General are given broad emergency powers to act on behalf of its member nations and Earth as a whole. The culmination of a globally recognized authority is cited as a significant step towards a true world government.
– In a closed session of the United Nation’s Security council, command of all Global Coalition Forces is handed over to SOLCOMM, the only entity in operation that can conduct a truly global conflict. While still in its infancy, the United Nations Expeditionary Forces, will operate largely in a leadership, advisory, and special operations capacity while member nations provide the brunt of the actual manpower needed to combat the Allies.
– The unfinished hulls of the Elco and Abilene, are rushed into service.
– The Second ESG finally returns to earth.
– The New Haven Fortification act is passed, placing direct control of any city with a battalion sized unit of UN personnel, under the direct control of the highest ranking military officer. In many cases, specialized military governors (Full Bird Colonel’s) are recruited to act as governors and oversee the joint military and civilian operation of the city.
– Farris volunteers for UNMC duty.
August 3: The Second Battle of Luna
– The United Nation First Expeditionary Strike Group leads a joint coalition of forces in an attempt to retake the Lunar Colony and the shipyards in orbit. The battle is an unmitigated disaster, resulting in the loss of four ships, including the UNV-Essex. Commanding Officer of the Ticonderoga Expeditionary Strike Group: General Erin Wyler is killed during the attack.
– Colonel Reng Grohl is promoted to General and given command of the newly consolidated First Expeditionary Strike Group. The I ESG holds Earth orbit, conducting long range defensive and offensive engagements against the Alliance.
– In the resulting retaliatory strike, the Allied Corporations are joined by the entire S&E Interplanetary Security Firm stationed on Earth. Their diversionary assault, allows a mass landing of Allied forces on Earth. While still vastly outnumbered, these ‘Guardsmen’ use guerrilla tactics and logistical support from Allied Forces stationed at Luna, to wage an effective campaign against UN forces. The arrival of the Guardsmen on Earth, becomes known as G-Day.
– Having sustained catastrophic structural damage, the UNV Essex is stripped of any salvageable material and scuttled near Venus. Secretary General Alvaro Masai keeps a small piece of the ships hull as a souvenir.
– The UN begins mobilizing its forces to meet the Pax with a unified front. Political bickering begins to shake the foundation of the UN as several nations refuse to commit their forces to the fight for the protection of other nations as the UN treaty dictates they must.
– Valeen Farris graduates from the USMC and volunteers to transfer to UNMC duty.
– The Allied Forces solidify their position in proximity of Earth, using the Lunar Ship Yards as a staging area to launch strikes against targets in orbit of Earth, as well as delivering much needed supplies and reinforcements to forces engaged in combat on the planets surface.
September 19, Monday: The New Haven Siege
– Allied Guardsmen begin their siege of New Haven, scaling up their pattern of random attacks against the UN Coalition Forces stationed there, to a full blown multi front assault.
– The Allied Forces solidify their position in proximity of Earth, using the Lunar Ship Yards as a staging area to launch strikes against targets in orbit of Earth, as well as delivering much needed supplies and reinforcements.
– The UN Security Council warns that any nation, not meeting its military obligation as defined in the UN Charter they signed, will be cut off from the GPG as well as UN aid and left to fend for itself.
– Venezuela decides to test the UN’s resolve, holding back their armed forces. In retaliation, the UN lives up to its word an cuts them off. The United States begins sending aid to Venezuela, allying with them in a plan to align the American continents as one solid defense force against the Alliance, in hopes of finding a peaceful resolution to the conflict as a neutral party. The UN cuts off the United States.
– Having relied on outside benefactors for much of the last three decades, the United States descends into anarchy as riots break out within many populated areas. Unable to quell the uprisings of those simply trying to survive and those taking advantage, the US government cuts all ties to Venezuela and asks for formal reinstatement within the UN. The UN complies, but by then the its too late.
– The Alliance seize this opportunity to gain a major foothold in North America. With the US military scattered and the loss of power disrupting communication, the Alliance easily gains control of the south western regions of the United States, which is largely abandoned by that time.
– With the majority of the Alliance committed to fighting in North America, the Alliance is able to take advantage of several weakened areas still not repaired from their original attack. Guardsmen in Asia, Europe and Africa, seize many lightly defended military bases and utilize rapid strikes to inflict vast amounts of damage against already weakened military’s.
– The United Nations Expeditionary Forces finally get their act together and establish a proper defensive perimeter around Earth, curtailing the number of supply and personnel drops undertaken by the Alliance. The decreased number of supply drops provides the UN forces on Earth with a much need reprieve as the Guardsmen scale back their advance.
– Upon completing the additional training needed to qualify for global deployment, Valeen Farris volunteers for the Advanced Reconnaissance Operations Service (AROS – pronounced Arrows); an elite branch of special forces within the Marine Corps.
– Farris finally completes her training and is assigned to the 203rd AROS Battalion.
– The 203rd AROS battalion participates in OPERATION SETTING SUN, making their first successful combat drop.
– In the first concentrated surge of the ground war, the Alliance goes on the offense to drive back the UN Joint Coalition Forces from the wastelands of south western region of the United States.
– By the end of November, the Allies have pushed the UN out of the wasteland and across the plains. The UN is in danger of losing North America while falling back behind the Blue Line The Mississippi River.
– The UN launches OPERATION VOODOO, which includes landing military forces in the regions west, east, and south of Black Rock Nevada. The 201st and 202rd AROS Battalions experience the most intense fighting while landing on the west coast of North America in California.
– The 203rd AROS Battalion (Advanced Reconnaissance Operations Service) is tasked with capturing or disabling a remote Guardsmen Mountain Base in the Rocky Mountains. The mission is code named OPERATION MOUNTAIN TOP.
The New Haven Chronicles begins officially with the novella, Orbital Decay. This introduction to the characters and their role in the conflict will be released this spring.
A Tentative Episode List:
(all titles are subject to change)
28 Days Later
It’s Morning Again in New Haven
Some Kind of Sinner
The Road to Thunder
The Thunder of Guns
Into the Black
Bad Moon on the Rise
And Then I see a Darkness